Monday, October 13, 2008

The 9th Ward

Here are some pictures from my trip to New Orleans. I'm not known, and for good reason, for my photography skills, so I hope these can give you an idea...

The houses there still have the paint on them from when people went through and looked for bodies. They can't get it off. They have tried washing and other things but it won't come off. So on all of the buildings they were able to save and the ones that have not been demolished have it. On this house it is on the left of the door in reddish paint.


The levee. I thought it looked like a cement wall and was a little disappointed. I'm not sure what I thought it would look like. Locks in a river, I guess, for some reason.

I thought there would at least be a bunch of water on the other side. Disappointed there, too. Grassland.

This is one of the houses from the Make It Right Foundation. They were very modern and fancy. Yes, please, I'll take one for free.



The houses don't have foundations and sit on stilts. As you can see in the new house they have changed how tall those have to be. These are stilts from an old house. And a stoop to no house.

1 comment:

Mom said...

WOW! I'll bet it was truly an amazing experience! Good job, Rhoda!!