Saturday, December 24, 2011

What's Happening in My Neck of the Woods

I was going to post a few days ago but decided it was better to give V and Mary top billing for a bit. We made it to Zanzibar. The beach is beautiful and worth all of the mishaps we had to get here. These photos are from the BpF.


I'm learning to make tea. Hopefully when I get home I'll be a good faki and can make tea for you. Faki is the person who makes tea. It's kind of hard! You can't just set the timer. In fact they say I'm very American because I want to know exact measurements and time to make the tea. Tea making is not like that. I want to tell them it should be! My tea is not good so I don't want to make it too often because I like the good tea. But I should make it so I can practice.


Here are the pictures from when we fixed the school pump.


The tube goes this deep to get water. I think it's 50 meters.



All of that standing water is gross and we are working on that, too. It's from the pump. When you pump water not all of the water goes into the bucket, but some leaks out. The drain area is broken so this happens. It smells like a feed lot.



The school garden where they are rebuilding the fence. We will plant trees in here for a living fence. I hope it works.


Here they are bringing wood and then then students' fathers attached it to the posts.


This is how they make bricks. It's kind of like how you make pasta. You mix the cement and sand and make a big mound like with the flour in pasta. The water is the eggs and mix it the same way, bringing everything in to the middle. They have a mold and make one brick at a time. This is what we are going to use to clean the standing water from the pump.



Oh look! There's me hauling water on my head!

No comments: