Sunday, October 09, 2011

Poland

Back in Burkina. Sigh. But not before giving you my last few photos. The vacation was great. I loved Poland. It was so pretty!

This is PoznaƄ's city hall.




After that I took the train south to Krakow. Took the late train at 4pm to arrive at 10:30 so I could see Poznan. After about 20 minutes the ticket man came to check my ticket. He said something to me in Polish, which I did not understand. So I said, "I don't speak Polish." So he said it again, only louder. (This was not helpful.) So I repeated what he said with a questioning look on my face. He said, what I understood to be, yes and left. I knew I couldn't change the situation, so I decided not to worry about it and go back to my book. We didn't get in until after 1am. I think he was trying to tell me they had switched the trains and now instead of it being an regional train it was an inter-city. Or the other way around. Anyway, it seemed as though I was the only one who didn't know this because when it was 10:30 and I was ready to get off the train, everyone else was sleeping. I guess they all speak Polish and knew what was going on.

I visited Auschwitz-Birkenau. It was huge!

These are the latrines. Living with a latrine daily, when I first saw these I thought, "They didn't did that hole deep enough. This would overfill right away." The should be dug about 2.5 meters deep. These were probably less than one meter. In fact, I was right. It was someone's job to clean this daily. They had to bucket out all of the waste everyday. The guide said this was considered a good job, though, because that meant you got to be inside when it was cold or rainy and you got constant access to the latrine rather than only once or twice a day like other prisoners.


I also visted the Salt Mines. My pictures didn't turn out very well, so I'll spare you the details.


This is Sukiennice in the main square. It was pretty. When I went inside, though, it was just stalls full of tourist junk. :(


Long arm photos start. I'm glad my camera has GPS so I can remember where I was. I don't remember the name of this wall. But now they have concerts in there.


I think this is St. Andrew's Church. But I kind of forget. Good thing my camera has GPS and when I upload them I'll know exactly where I was!


I love nuns. Couldn't resist taking her photo.


Finally, this was in St. Mary's Basilica.

All that's left now is Berlin. And nine more months of Burkina.

1 comment:

Mom said...

GREAT pictures of Poland! The Salt Mine, Auschwitz, Krakow, and others reminded me of our trip to Poland. It is a beautiful place! So glad you got to see those places. LOL about the train person talking to you! Glad you had a good trip!