Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pfun Times in Burkina Pfaso

One of my projects has been helping the school PTA association raise money. We do that by selling soap. This is Aminata stirring the soap when we make it. First you stir the tanginex for about 10 min till it looks like shaving cream.

You mix the kilo of tangisex with a kilo of salt with 7.5 L of water and 7.5 L fresh water. Slowly you first add the salt water. Little by little. Then little by little the fresh water. Then you let it sit for 24 hours and add the color and perfume.

Then we bottle it and sell it for 125CFA.

With this we will net 4500. Gross about 3000CFA. $6US.

Here I am with the soccer team. At regionals they lost their first game and won the second in penalty kicks. It was fun.

The Nooni are famous for cooking pig, which I don't understand because a lot of them are Muslim, but I just go with it. It's one of the delicious treats here. They cook it in a mud oven and the put a beer sauce on it with tomatoes, onions and hot peppers.

This is the pump where I get my water. Well, I don't. I send children to get me water. :)

I have other photos, but blogger or the BF is acting funny and won't let me. I blame the latter. So I'll post this and see what happens. Miss you all.

4 comments:

dad said...

I guess all that work for $6 shows what labor is worth in BF. It was interesting. I've got cake icing dye if you want to try other colors. Do you help coach the soccer team or do they know more than you. I've also got some soccer training books, but they're all in English. The Muslims must eat the pork, right? The picture of the well was also interesting as I was expecting a hand pump. Do they get the water by turning the wheel? Love, DAD :o)

Molli said...

I'm so glad you posted!! I am also surprised by the water pump, it looks a lot fancier than I was expecting. I can't believe all of that work to make the soap for just $6! Does it make liquid soap, or bars? Looks like liquid but I'm not sure. I do love you and hope everything is going well.

Mom said...

GREAT post! Interesting how little one's time is worth in BF! The well was very interesting. Do folks go there to socialize or is Sanga small enough that everybody sees everybody?

Molli said...

Ok I'm going to think it's definitely liquid. I was thinking maybe it hardens, but not likely since it's in those bottles. :) But then I just noticed no one on the soccer team is wearing shoes. Do they play barefoot?? And what kind of surface do they play on? Just dirt? Or grass? Ouch!