Sunday, April 24, 2011

So I Got A Camera

And here are some photos. In to particular order. I had to resize them so I hope they post ok and aren't too small.

This is my friend Mouta. He's 7. He likes Hannah Montana and taking photos with my camera. They are what you would expect. Inside of my Nutella jar, my candy, can opener. I thought about posting them but then realized it takes about an hour to upload pictures here. See Mary's recent pics and you get the idea.

Tea here is my favorite thing. It takes about two hours. Not kidding. If you rush it you can have tea in an hour, but they don't like doing that. This tea is for hanging out and chatting. You have two little pots, like this. The tea simmers in there for about 45 minutes.

Then you put it in a cup and let it sit while you make another pot. Maybe two. After that you add sugar and pour the tea into the cup and back into the pot about 50 times. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But not much. Like how you stir OJ when you can't shake it.

After that you get a shot of tea. And it's awesome. Well, each pot makes about six shots of tea. So if I'm lucky and there is only one other person there I will get six to ten shots. I will put up with a lot of nonsense for that little shot right there. Sometimes they add fresh ginger to the tea or vanilla sugar. Or peppermint candy. I think it would be fun to add cinnamon candy. We tried Hot Tamales, but that didn't work. A cinnamon hard candy is needed.

Sanga has a soccer team. Here they are. The first game the other team didn't show up so they advanced to the next round. Here is the team photo from the second game. The team was very late (two hours) and I asked one of the students what he thought had happened. He said, without missing a beat, "They're scared." They never showed up (miscommunication) and Sanga advanced to the next round. They had a game on Saturday and won. Legit.

Here's my garden. It is very lackluster because the pump for the water broke shortly after I made it. Boo. No water. Hopefully when the rains come I can do something nice. You can see my latrine and outdoor shower there. The latrine is the door on the right. I don't use the shower because I have an indoor shower. Big luxury. It means I don't have to carry a bucket full of water outside. More importantly it means I don't have to walk outside in my towel or carry all of my clothes and other things.
I made a video of the inside of my house but am having problems finding the file from the camera on the computer. Also, I can seem to login to YouTube.

Happy Easter! Here we are on an Easter Egg Hunt. You can see the pool in the background. It's nice. I'm happy here. I don't want to go back. Pool. AC. Food.

These are the other volunteers that are with me. They are nice.

4 comments:

Mom said...

YEA!!!! You got some pics posted!!! The hotel looks very nice. Do you go through that every time you want a cup of tea or is that just for special times? Happy Easter!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You look great! And happy! I think of you often and wonder how you are. It is comforting to see that all appears well on the B.F. homefront. Well, back to writing my thesis. :)

dad said...

You look happy and healthy even if you're just pretending. I guess the boy lives in your village. Is he with your family?I'll get the package sent today with the coffee et al. We love you and miss you. DAD:o)

Molli said...

That little boy is cute! I can imagine the good pictures, but too bad you didn't get to post any. Darn slow internet. That tea looks like fun! Is it the same kind of tea leaves? I just wonder because if I let my tea sit for that long it would be nasty. I like your garden! Why don't you offer candy to the kids to bring you water? Too bad you don't get to stay in that hotel - it looks nice!!