Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Swine Flew

Well, here are the pictures from The Pig. They had a big expo the day before where you picked up your bib and got the free stuff and could also shop. They had a bunch of the flying pigs from around Cincinnati there.

What is the deal with all the pigs? In the 1800s, Cincinnati was known as a meat packing and processing center. When area farmers herded their pigs through the streets to the processing plants, there were so many pigs in the streets the city got the nickname "Porkopolis."

Fast forward to 1986 when the city was celebrating its bicentennial, and the city built the Bicentennial Commons park you'll see along the riverfront in downtown Cincinnati. The entrance to the park is marked with an archway, four smokestacks (representing the city's riverboat history) and four flying pigs on top of the smokestacks, representing the city's "Porkopolis" past.

That's my name.

Now, let me just say when I took that photo I thought, "Oh, I looked too fresh, too energetic, people will not know I just ran a marathon. They will think that is at the beginning of the race." Ummm....

That is my gun time. Actual was 4.28. Not as well as I had hoped, but I guess I won't have to work as hard to improve on the next one?

More photos of me looking fresh.
Molli has been asking for pictures of my nasty feet, so here it goes. Feel free to pass this section if you want. :) This section is for her.

On about mile 23 or so my foot really started bothering me. At mile 25 I looked down and realized I was bleeding and had bled through my shoe.
Stopped by the medical center to get it bandaged after the race.

And here are the blisters.
That pinkie toe is one whole blister around the entire nail. (The nail has already fallen off and is now just a bed. No nail.)
The pointer toe, for lack of a better word was the one that was bleeding. That nail fell off today and there is a new nail underneath.
We went out for ice cream to celebrate when I got back to Northville. Derek and Vittoria split.
Chocolate malt for Mary Kay.

And a tasty Boston Cooler for me. :)

1 comment:

Molli said...

I was expecting actual bloody foot pictures. Maybe next time. Wait, did you say next time??