Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Oh, hello. It's been a while...


Here in the Pfaso it gets a little hot.  So people buy these big clay pots and fill them with water.  I don't know the science behind it, but then water becomes cold.  I bought 2.  One for drinking, one for bathing.


I had big problems getting it home.  I wanted to put them on the back of my bike, but they would have broken.  So two men offered to walk them home for me.  It was very nice.  I offered to buy them a Coke or something but they refused.  They just carried them home for me and left.  I'm really going to miss that.  Sometimes people here are so nice.


Here are the bags for the 600 trees we are planting for the school garden.  They have been planted and only about 100 survived. :(  It's OK though, because I can't imagine how difficult it would be to water 600 trees for a year.  Well, I can imagine it and know it wouldn't happen.  100 is much more manageable. 


My neighbor brings me dinner. I wanted to share this sauce. It's made with cotton seeds! That's a little piece of chicken in there.


Here is corn seed.  They called it couscous but I thought it tasted like corn meal.  I added olive oil and salt.  It was OK.  Not as good as cotton seed though.

Oh, hello, little fella.  He joined me one night for dinner.


I was the photographer for a tofu making class.  It was really interesting.  First you soak the soy seeds overnight and then put them in a grinder with water to make a paste.

Then you boil the paste and add an acid to get it to curdle.


Then you put it through a cheese cloth.  It's like really bean cheese.  After that you press it.  Then we sliced it into squares, seasoned it, fried it, but it on sticks and had tofu kababobs.  Pretty good.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Great post! Were those guys who took your pots to Sanga from Sanga? Nice guys! Interesting how they make tofu.

Molli said...

Pfun! You are right, it has been a while! That is very interesting about the water getting cold in those pots. I wonder how it does that. That centipede (or whatever) was a real treat for you to have to dinner with you. I think I would have screamed.